1 terminate before completion; "abort the mission"; "abort the process running on my computer"
2 terminate a pregnancy by undergoing an abortion
- a RP /əˈbɔːt/
EtymologyFrom abortus, past participle of aboriri "to miscarry", formed from ab- + oriri "to come into being".
- A miscarriage; an untimely birth; an abortion.
- The product of a
miscarriage; an aborted
offspring; an abortion.
- Note: As with the more modern "abortion" this can refer either to the process or the result of the process.
- The function used to abort a process.
- An event involving the
abort of a process.
- We've had three aborts over the last two days.
- An early termination of a mission.
- We've had aborts on three of our last seven launches.
The product of a miscarriage
- Portuguese: aborto
- Serbian: pobačaj
The function used to abort a process
- German: Abbruch
- To miscarry; to bring forth something prematurely.
- To cause a premature termination whether of a foetus or more generally of anything that has been begun.
- intransitive biology To become checked in normal development, so as either to remain rudimentary or shrink away wholly; to become sterile.
- transitive computing To terminate a process prior to completion.
- To terminate a mission for any reason other than enemy action. It may occur at any point after the beginning of the mission and prior to its completion.
to cause a premature termination
(computing) to terminate a process prior to completion
- Webster's Dictionary 1913 Edition
- JP 1-02 Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
Abort can mean:
- Abort (computing), to terminate a computer processing or data transfer activity.
- Abortion, a premature termination of pregnancy ending in the death of the embryo or fetus.
- The early termination of a spaceflight, particularly a mode resulting in the return of the spacecraft to Earth. For more information, see Space Shuttle abort modes and Apollo abort modes.
- "Abort" is German for a toilet.
abort in Danish: Abort
abort in German: Abort
abort in Spanish: Aborto
abort in Basque: Haurgaltze
abort in Russian: Аборт (значения)
abort in Slovak: Abort
abandon, belay, cancel, cease, close, conclude, cut it out, desist, determine, discontinue, drop it, end, finish, finish up, give over, go amiss, go astray, go wrong, halt, have done with, hold, knock it off, lay off, leave off, miscarry, perorate, quit, refrain, relinquish, renounce, resolve, scrap, scratch, scrub, stay, stop, terminate, wind up